Laime Inventions is a tender story about family love with a lot of wacky insanity thrown in making this story a hybrid of Drama and Comedy. We’re calling it a “Dramady”.
In it, we meet the family of the wealthy retired entrepreneur, Efrem Davenport. It is the turn of the 20th Century with all its charm and politeness. It is also a time when people were restricted by convention and propriety. As a result, we find Efrem unable to cross over
the proper “stations” in life and publicly declare his love for the woman who has been his housekeeper since his wife’s death. We also meet his daughter, Lavinia, who is trapped
in a loveless marriage with Ogden Laime, a self-centered, greedy man, who only married her for her father’s money.
It’s 1910, and turn-of-the-century America is exploding with new energy. In the wake of the Industrial Revolution, a new social order rises, powered by gasoline, electricity and brilliant minds. In this Gilded Age, the entrepreneur inventor is king and massive tax-free fortunes are made almost overnight.
Wannabe inventor Ogden Laime wants a piece of that history for himself, and this pompous personality won’t allow small obstacles like his lack of imagination, talent, or business savvy to get in his way. He idolizes the creative mind of Jules Verne and fancies himself to be just like him.
A series of completely avoidable comedic mishaps and industrial accidents, caused by Ogden’s gross incompetence, including an accidental city-wide food poison epidemic, are
the steady products of Laime Inventions. And somehow, the Mayor seems to always be caught in the cross hairs.
Finally, Ogden fires an under appreciated genius who’s inventions just aren’t “big” enough for his over-inflated ego. Only months later, he finds this inventor making a fortune with these “tiny” ideas causing Laime to have a complete mental breakdown, and bringing Laime Inventions to an explosive conclusion.
Cast of Characters
Cast Size = 8 + 2 in audience
- EFREM DAVENPORT – (late 50’s) Distinguished, handsome gentleman. Lavinia’s father.
- OGDEN LAIME (mid 30’s) – Stuffy businessman.
- LAVINIA LAIME – (early 30’s) Wife of Ogden Laime. Beautiful and poised.
- NEVILLE LAWBENDER – (mid 30’s) Attractive, well dressed Attorney.
- OTTO DIGBY – (Mid 40’s) Bookkeeper and brother-in-law to Percival Good.
- PERCIVAL GOOD – (early 40’s) Attractive man. Inventor/employee.
- ARCHIBALD PETER – (mid 40’s) A bit portly and disheveled. Inventor/employee.
- GAYLORD PINKUS – (mid 40’s) A gangly, dopey looking man. Inventor/employee.
- HENRIETTA CARUTHERS – (mid 30’s) Attractive Secretary to Ogden Laime.
- CLARA – (early 50’s) Maid/Cook. An attractive, dignified, well kept woman.
- NIGEL LAIME – Adorable 8 year old son of Ogden and Lavinia.
- TRUDY LAIME – Sweet and petite 10 year old daughter of Ogden and Lavinia.
TIME: 1910, the Industrial Revolution.
PLACE: Boston Massachusetts.
- The home of Efram Davenport & the Offices of Laime Inventions.
- The entire play revolves around a single table. When in the home of Efram Davenport, it is covered with a table cloth and is the dining room table. When at the offices of Laime Inventions, it is the conference room table and the table cloth is removed.
NOTE: Please feel free to call J&G UNLIMITED, LLC if you require any alterations to the script in order to accommodate your venue, or any other questions or unusual requirements you may have. We will be happy to put you in touch with the author and they will be more than happy to help.
There is a navigation bar at the bottom of the script sample. From it you can turn the page, enlarge part of the view, expand to fit the full screen, or download the pdf. If you enlarge to full screen, pressing the ESC key will return you here.
Your Materials Package Includes:
- 20 Scripts
- 1 Press Play CD of Sound Effects
Reserve Your Dates Today!
Ready to get this great work on your show schedule? Click the button below and lets get started!
Reserve Performance Rights
Curious what it costs first?
NO PROBLEM! Click the link below and get an instant quote on your screen!
Quick Quote Calculator
Want to peruse this first?
FABULOUS! There are two versions, the Instant Download version that appears instantly on your screen when you check-out, and the Hard Copy version we mail to you via USPS.
Just click “Add to Cart” on any or all of the items in our catalog and then check out of the shopping cart system. The resulting page will have a download link for you AND you will receive an email with your login information to access this download anytime!
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
There are no reviews yet.